Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Day 1 - Tower Task

Every year about this time I come home and crash.  I generally forget how exhausting the first day of school really is. It's amazing to me how tiring reading and discussing the syllabus can be.

Since the routine of checking out books and reading through the syllabus doesn't take long, we spent the rest of each geometry period working through what I call the Tower Task.  The task is based off of one available through MAP called "Skeleton Tower."  We broke down the task into simple substeps that lead the student through the process of finding a equation relating the total number of cubes to the number of cubes in the center stack.  This is the second year that I've given this task and I really enjoy watching the kids work on it.

In PreCalculus, we spent the last half of the hour going over problems on the summer packet.  I like that I have this time to learn what they do and don't know.  It also gives the students time to talk to me and start to feel comfortable feeling vulnerable.  I think vulnerability plays a large role in why students typically don't ask for help. My goal is to break that feeling and to replace it with a feeling of mutual trust.

I can't wait to see what this school year holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment